The Kiwanis Club of Swift Current strives to provide volunteer and monetary support for the children of our community.
At the club’s recent Annual General Meeting, Elden Moberg and Dave Spencer, Co-chairs of the Youth Services Committee reported support for the following activities through an annual budget of approximately $40,000:
- SC Music Festival Awards
- SC Regional Science Fair
- SC Parks Summer Playground Program
- Aquatic Centre Kids Swim Free – February
- Middle Years Wellness Conference – speakers Ian Tyson & Michelle Salt
- Spookerama for Middle Years’ students
- English as an Additional Language summer program for new immigrant preschoolers
- Lyric Theatre – support for “Merry Munsch”, a Youth Talent Night, and the upcoming Shakespeare in the Park
- SC Library Teen Movie Book Club summer program
- Windscape Juggler
- Early Childhood Intervention – Christmas party and spring picnic
- Bike Safety Event
- Robb Nash Suicide Prevention Project – students from 18 schools in the Southwest
- SC Judo Club – annual tournament
- Chamber of Commerce Business Connect – High School students meet local business leaders
- Outdoor rink line painting
Other initiatives that have and may again receive support are Student Leadership at the High School, K-Kids in the elementary schools, the Newcomer Welcome Centre, The Center, and Missoula Children’s Theatre.
With ongoing community generosity for fundraising projects such as Apple Sales, Christmas Tree Sales, the Annual Golf Tournament, and Lobsterfest, a joint effort with the SC Rotary Club, Kiwanis has been proud to serve the children of Swift Current since 1921.