Wednesday, 07 October 2015 14:08

‘Patients first’ should always be the motto

Written by  Contributed
Rate this item
(0 votes)


Emergency room service at the Cypress Regional Hospital has been in the news because of a tragic situation that recently occurred directly related to wait times after arriving in Emergency. The following is my experience with this issue.
I had a colonoscopy performed in the Cypress Regional Hospital on Sept. 29. Three polyps were removed during the procedure and I went home to recuperate. I was doing fine until the morning of Oct. 2, when I began passing a significant amount of fresh blood.
About 1 p.m. I found I was feeling dizzy and weak, so I was driven to Emergency at the Herbert and District Integrated Health Facility where I was now feeling faint.
My blood pressure was very low and I was sweating profusely. The staff administered a saline drip and oxygen which brought me around and the doctor ordered an ambulance to take me to Emergency in Swift Current. All of this took place immediately when I arrived at the Herbert Hospital and by 1:40 p.m. I was on my way to Swift Current.
During the ambulance ride my blood pressure increased to a more normal reading with the addition of the saline and the oxygen. When I was admitted in the Emergency Department of the Cypress Regional Hospital, my blood pressure had stabilized in the normal range, and I was feeling much better. At about 2:20 p.m. I was put in the Isolation Room in Emergency and was hooked up to monitors and continued to have the saline IV. I was told the doctor, who had done the colonoscopy (a specialist), was on call and would be coming to see me.
At about 5:15 p.m. I passed more fresh blood. The doctor arrived at 6:28 p.m., told me the operation I had could result in some bleeding, and that I “may have had some bleeding” despite the evidence he saw in the toilet and the fact I was rushed to Emergency in an ambulance because my blood pressure had dropped to extremely low levels. He admitted me into the hospital for observation. I was taken to my room at 8:15 p.m. I did not have any further bleeding during my overnight stay and all my vital signs were stable so I was discharged at 10:45 a.m. Oct. 3.
The wait in Emergency for more than four hours before seeing the doctor seems a bit excessive to say the least.
After reading about the policy and set procedures set out for the Emergency Department, I have a better understanding of why my wait was so long, but it is still not right. My spouse and a friend wasted an entire afternoon sitting in Isolation waiting for the doctor to show up so they could find out what the next step in my treatment was going to be. This kind of service really does not fit the motto “patients first” no matter how you cut it.
Albert (Al) Kildaw, Herbert, Sask.

Read 1254 times