Thursday, 21 June 2018 11:04

Vainness is just waste on humankind

Written by  Dale Ferrel
Rate this item
(0 votes)

In spite of a lot poor management, man kind continues to prosper.


We reprobates are afflicted with exacerbation, wasting billions of dollars building wonderful projects.
Then we spend billions more building systems we use to blast them into a pile of rubble.
Vain, insufferable, repugnant stupidity at its best. Especially since the funding and effort could have provided so much comfort to the millions of human kind oppressed and suffering terribly throughout our planet.
That said, what is almost unbelievable is the providentially increasingly rapid pace at which we somehow manage to heal some of the adversity we create. 
According to Max Roser, an Oxford University economist, we reduced by 217,000 daily, the number of people living in extreme poverty earning less than $2 per day. Since the 1960s, when the majority of people were illiterate, we can now claim that less than 15% are. It is projected that in another 10 years there could be literally none.
Roser also importantly offers an example of how technology is foiling much of what the backward, out of touch nut cases are trying to perpetuate with violence and extreme abuse.
He cites the progress of Sultana, a young Afghan woman banned from attending school. She accessed the internet at home, taught herself English, then algebra and calculus using Khan Academy courses and EdX websites.
She moved on to string theory and began emailing the distinguished North American astrophysicist, Lawrence M. Krauss. Sultana is now taking graduate courses at Arizona State University.
The improvements we are experiencing have mostly happened in just the last century or two. In 1800, half of the babies born died in childhood and life expectancy was 30 years.
By 1870, it had risen to 45 years. Today, the average life expectancy, world wide 72 years. The average American now retires at age 62. One hundred years ago they were dead by age 51.
 In the last 70 years flying has become 2,100 times safer! The real price air travel in the U.S. has decreased to less than half since the late 1970s.
No homes had electricity in 1870. Now  85% have that perk. While more than 37% died of infectious diseases in 1,900, less than 2% suffer that fate today. The world’s nuclear stockpiles have been reduced by 85% since the cold war.
In 1900, the average worker toiled 10 hours per day six days a week. By 1940, a 40 hour, 5 day work week had evolved. 
Since 1995, 30 of 109 of the world’s developing countries have experienced economic growth rates that doubled every 18 years.
Lastly, just 7% of the world lived in a free society in 1850. The number now is about 67% That is good, but my heart goes out to the other 33%.
Thus, it appears that every problem can help us to change for the better; deepen our faith, and hopefully add to our self-esteem as we struggle to try and get it right.

Read 287 times