• JUser: :_load: Unable to load user with ID: 74
Thursday, 02 June 2011 11:53

Province providing up to $25 million for Southern Alberta flooding

Written by 
Rate this item
(0 votes)


The Alberta government has committed up to $25 million under the 2011 Southern Alberta Disaster Recovery Program for communities hit hard by spring floods in southern Alberta.

“Southern Alberta has experienced an unusually wet year,” said Hector Goudreau, Minister of Municipal Affairs. “Severe flooding has a devastating impact on communities and this assistance will help residents, municipalities and businesses recover.”

The new disaster recovery program will aid those affected by localized flooding in the geographic boundaries of the City of Medicine Hat, the Municipal District of Taber, Wheatland County, Cypress County, the County of Forty Mile, the County of Lethbridge, Vulcan County, the County of Newell, and the Town of Olds, and includes all municipalities and irrigation districts that fall within these boundaries.

Financial assistance will be available to residents, small businesses, agriculture operations and municipalities that experienced uninsurable loss during the period of April 1-30. Those who were eligible under the 2011 Spring Southeast Alberta Disaster Recovery Program in March must reapply if they also sustained damage in April.

Registration centres will be established.

In the interim, affected municipalities, residents and small businesses can contact 1-888-671-1111 for more information.

Registration Centres

Thursday, June 2 — Training of municipal staff in County of Newell.

Registration will be completed by the municipality

The City of Medicine Hat, the County of Forty Mile and the Municipal District of Taber are not planning on having scheduled registration centres.  Registrants are asked to come in to the municipal offices to complete an application.

Visit the Alberta Emergency Management Agency website for a step by step guideline to the residential application process and the small business/agricultural application process.

When applying for assistance, residents should bring:

• one piece of photo identification;

• a letter from your insurance company indicating what damage is not covered; and,

• a detailed list of all property damaged or destroyed. Do not bring photos or receipts when applying, but keep them for the evaluator.

Applications must be completed in person. If this is not possible, phone toll-free 1-888-671-1111.

Read 928 times

More Alberta News...