Wednesday, 20 July 2016 15:18

Celebration at historic Goodwin House, July 16, 2016

Written by 

A celebration of the 25th anniversary of the official opening of the historic Goodwin House as a visitors centre and administrative office at Saskatchewan Landing Provincial Park took place on July 16. The old stone building, a familiar landmark next to Highway No. 4 at Saskatchewan Landing, was built between 1897 and 1900. The relatives of people who had an association with the house in the past attended the event.  Métis elder Cecile Blanke, whose grandfather Leon LaRocque helped to build the house, was one of the speakers at the event. David Noble, a descendant of Art and Besse Smith, was also present at the celebration. The Smith family owned the house from 1928 to 1959. The activities during the afternoon included children’s games, face painting, Métis jigging and fiddling, as well as tours of Goodwin House. There was a grand entry at  2 p.m., which was followed by speeches by dignitaries and the cutting of the anniversary cake. Parks Manager Dave Silversides spoke about the park's duty to preserve and promote the natural and cultural history of Saskatchewan Landing. South West Park Area Regional Director Brant Seifert attended the grand opening on behalf of the Ministry of Parks, Culture and Sport. He noted that Goodwin House will continue to be an icon for the park. Silversides presented Swift Current resident Shirley Van Kannel with a gift to acknowledge her service to the park. She worked at Goodwin House after it opened as a visitors centre and she was always eager to share her knowledge about the history of the building and the park with others.

 

 
Read 379 times
Matthew Liebenberg

Reporter/Photographer